Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sense of Direction

Well, it's something I have. I have an incredible fear of getting lost, and as a sort of defence I have developed a reasonable sense of direction. I can read maps, asses distance-information, remember landmarks and streets and therefore usually have a very easy time finding my way around.

Not so here in London, the town just freaks my senses. I can't find anything. And it's not just the small and winding streets, Cologne has those, Amsterdam has those, and I am fine over there. And it's not the lack of landmarks, cause, well, it's London, apart form Rome I don't think there is a more landmark-filled city in Europe. But nonetheless, I can't find anything here. I can sort of find my hotel, and after walking around a bit yesterday afternoon I can find my way around the direct environs, which is good cause I will probably be here some time soon in the future again.
But the Centre of the city, not a chance. I was looking for a particular bar yesterday and had been walking for quite a while when I noticed I was traversing parallels of the same street over and over again. This pissed me off, and I decided to concentrate on a well-lit and busy street to re-orient myself, and set of towards the lights. Which I then proceeded to miss. Somehow, I got turned around and walked towards a general housing area, nothing there to get my bearings back.

Well, my choices where simple, there was the "plod along untill you recognize something" which I'd have used in Amsterdam because it's small and you get to a border or river within two hours walk any time. Then there was the "freak out and break down" which I seriously considered but given the fact that I was trying to get to a bar and see if I'd be able to pull a well-accented person of no definite description I'd ruled that out as an option. So i went for #3, grabbing a cab. And luckily I did, cause I was a LONG way off.

Well, since I picked the bar in question because it was having a comedy-night with a gay comedian I'd seen once on television and seemed a nice bar with cute general patronage, I was disappointed with the fact that I'd managed to miss my preferred entertainment, instead running in to a bad drag queen with tired jokes, and into a collection of the old and drizzly. I could've pulled, but really, without a good will there is no reason to kill anyone during intercourse now is there.

So an early night, which was a good plan, I was exhausted and nearly overslept this morning. Well, I say nearly, and I mean nearly. I was supposed to be here at work at nine thirty, and I woke up at nine twentyfive. So nearly. And here I am sitting, not showered, unshaven, I feel like a mess. And tonight I'm supposed to go for a few drinks with a few of my Londen colleagues.
And watch football. Christ but I hate football. Ah well, I'll see how it is for an hour or so and get into city center as soon as I get bored, see if I can find my footing in this blasted town.

Two more days here, two more nights counting tonight. Londen is great, though, my english is improving again (which I notice because I feel it is deteriorating, but that just means I hear mistakes again I'd usually miss). The hotel is nothing real special but the bathroom is stellar, really spacious shower I still haven't actually used, and can't wait to. I hope there is water pressure and heat, but right now I'd be happy with either.

And I do love English people, Oh god I do. I still maintain that out of every 15 you see 14 are so ugly I'd not touch them if they were in the way between me and a coke, but the fifteenth, of god the fifteenth makes up for all of them in general Woofyness.. Truly. So I'm enjoying myself.
I do think I'll be happy to get home on friday though, but that's mostly because it'll be weekend then and there are tickets to a good show :)

Anyway, I wish you all a good night, I'll go watch a football match now, arg, and see who in this office is fun enough to spend some more time with.

No comments: