Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fokker 50

WHY?! WHY!?

I was doing fine. I got up at 4.30 this morning, showered, made my bed, heard my mom come in to pick me up & bring me to the airport. Repacked my suitcase, got in the car, airport, checked in, went to the gate, saw the plane.

No problem as yet, sure, the plane was small, a Fokker 50 in fact and quite dwarfed by anything I'd ever flown in, but no problem.

Then, as I was awaiting boarding, a purser/stewardess type woman walks up to one of the external propellors, wiggles it about a bit, turns it round once, looks to me to be sighing derisively, and walks off.
I was firmly beleiving she'd do both, or, judging from her facial expression, to condemn the plane and make someone get another one. (I know it doesn't work llike that but she looked like she'd be able to pull it off.)

But no, they started boarding, and I started being very, very sure that if there ever was a flight I might not make all the way through, this would be it.

Obviously, since I am in fact typing this from the London office of my company instead of from a burning and charcoaly slab of sulfur, I survived. What I did in fact survive was a very pleasant flight into London City Airport. Then, because my boss' boss is an impatient man and was on the same flight as me I also got to survive not the planned DLR-drive into London but a cab-drive into a traffic jam the likes of which I'd still hesitate to describe.

Interesting.

Now, I'm enjoying a spectacular view of London's financial centre. Very nice, and awaiting the first part of the reason I'm here, a systemtraining. Tomorrow and the day after will be Network. Fine by me, the wheather is gorgeous and I'm planning to do some nice city-scanning on my off hours. Been to London once before for a weekend, which is hardly enough, and I want to see a bit more of the town this time.

Have to say though, I like the London branch. At least here, when people aren't truly attractive, they at least have nice accents. Shame that getting up at half four in the morning does no good to ones' complexion or general attraciveness, and my accent isn't up to par yet due to not aving spoken much English lately.

Ah... I'm certain I'll do okay.

More tomorrow, but I've no idea what about yet, since I don't know how I'm gonna spend my time here precisely at this juncture in time.

No comments: