Sunday, May 14, 2006

Londen..thingy

See? See? I CAN do an update within three months of the last one, just providing I have something to say and am bored enough to say it here. And guess what? Yes, indeed, I am! Oh goody...

Last weeks have been a bit meager, moviewise. I've been both busy and broke and very little new movies that interest me have come into the cinema's. Me and my housemate have been maintaining our tuesdaynight-schedule though, where two theatres in town show sneak-previews, which is always a good thing, seeing a movie before everybody else has a chance to.

This week; "The Hills have Eyes", a remake of a movie by Wes Craven, who's had his hands in this version as well. Because it's a remake of what is widely considered a "classic"I'm gonna spoil it like there's no tomorrow, so if you've no idea what the movie is about and still planning on seeing it, skip this review-type thing.

First things first, is it really necessary to tell us EVERYTHING we need to know about this movie in the first few minutes? Really? It is? oh.. my bad then. The opening credits show newspaperclippings of a series of nuclear tests and the fact that some American miners refused to leave there houses and became "lost". This is interspersed with flashes of deformed faces and children born with peculiar birth-defects. All nice and well, but considering that since "Freaks" no movie has been about freaks hurting freaks I'd already put good money on the introduction of regular people to get killed, kidnapped, beaten, shot, raped, or otherwise inconvenienced. Said regulars would undoubtedly triomf in the end over sheer insurmountable odds and numbers of opposition thusly re-affirming the stereotype of the all american hero.

And guess what, this is EXACTLY what happens. A "normal" family is stranded in the very same desert where the nuclear family resides, they get attacked, beaten, raped, shot, kidnappen, the dogs are killed (BAD nuclear freaks, never hurt the pets) and the requisite "youngsters" and their uncle survive.

Well, survive... survive 12 miles from the nearest but abandoned shack and god knows how far from everything else, without food or water, or shadow. Not to mention the fact that they are all probably radioactive now. So they WILL die, but really, this only makes me happy.

A good few scares moviewise, a couple of nice lines, a few good acting performances. Sadly, these are submerged and forgotten quickly in the barrage of cheap scares, bad lines, bad acting and gratuitous shots of gore.
Still, it was entertaining enough to sit through, which says something about a Cramer-movie.

In other news, I'm off to londen for the next week on business, and knowing that fact really drove home the fact I'm getting really old now...
But I'll try to keep y'all up to date what happens over there, I will, truly. And yes, this means I might write ssomething here next week, where I'll mention things I've done sideways, and gloss over nearly anything interesting.
But that's well known territory by now, so no surprises really...:)

No comments: