Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Yes, Yes I AM a man slightly on the side of gay-ish

Fact: even though my bestest friend has just returned from 18 months abroad and I am real happy to have her back, today I was most happy with the fact that she brought back something I'd like to describe as the perfect scarf. So, best friend, 18 months, two oceans away, and what am I happy about most? An accesory.
Fact: in about three days my boyfriend will be spending the night for the first time. This is all in all a good thing, granted. And I'm quite pleased I finally have the home-situation to entertain this type of situation. Mostly I'm real pleased to have a "can be specially decorated" home-situation. So yes, I bought new sheets, have been thinkng about and designed a lighting-scheme, positioned furniture to it's best 'yes we ARE lovely but a bit chilly" advantage. The fact that he needs to be entertained as well sometimes crosses my mind, but still... :)
Fact: christmas, time of family, friends, joy, thinking about the passing of things and new beginnings. What do I do? I consider the fact that my brown coat looks more "Ice princess" but my black ones are a bit too severe to be standing around in in greyish wheather.

So yes, I might as well admit I am a deeply superficial person. Not that this is really a problem, I guess.
Only really superficial people say looks don't matter, after all, and I DO realize that the more important things about the situations mentioned above is the fact that I can hug my best friend again, and the fact that the boyfriend comes over is much more of an important thing than the sheets (although they are VERY nice) and that having both my grandmothers, my little brother and my mum around for the holidays is a blessing that can't actually be topped by the realization that one is the best dressed guy in the cow-tipping experiment. It's just that sometimes the surface of things is fun to contemplate as well.

After all, Christmas is a period that is traditionally well-versed in appearances. We take a green tree inside to symbolize live ever-returning, which we hang with fruits (well, ornaments now, but they've evolved from fruits) and symbols of life, spring and fertility. These things are nothing but "looks" even though they have deeply rooted meaning. The fragility of the glass doesn't matter, nor does the fact that it's hollow inside. But the fact that these things sparkle and beguile does.

When I started posting this I wasn't sure if this was going to be something advocating either superficiality or be a counterpoint to same, and to be perfectly honest I am still a little unsure.
I think, since it is christmas and all, it would be better not to make a real point anyways.
Christmas is after all about tolerance, about life and love everlasting, but not neverchanging, and it is most of all about realizing what is important.

To me, and to many, the important things are family, friends, good food and good company, but I'll not sit here and pretend that the new wardrobe, the gifts and the clothing don't matter. Because it is nice as well to dress up, and to look and smell nice and eat nice things.

So I wish all of you reading this (What? ALL FIVE?! Madness) the christmas of your dreams, have as many as you can stand of the following:
-Happiness
-Eggnog
-Joy
-Love
-Food
-Family
-Friends
-Warmth
-Wellbeing
-New clothes
And worry about the bills next month and about dieting in your next lifetime.

I probably love everyone reading this in a certain way, since not many people know of my little blog, and I hope you will find all the luck and happiness that you deserve.

Hugz, greetings and the best regards,
Kevin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not everyone has a wonderful christmas.....